Can Google Street View Virtual Tour Software Be Used for Indoor Tours?
Google Street View is a popular feature of Google Maps that allows users to explore the world in 360 degrees. Users can see panoramic images of streets, landmarks, museums, and other places of interest. But can Google Street View also be used for indoor tours? The answer is yes but with some limitations and requirements.
What is Google Street View Virtual Tour Software?
Google Street View virtual tour software is a set of tools and services that enable anyone to create and publish their own 360-degree imagery on Google Maps. There are two main ways to create a virtual tour with Google Street View:
- Using a Street View-compatible camera: These are cameras that can capture 360-degree videos or photos and connect to the free Google Street View app on iOS or Android devices. The app allows users to control the camera, stitch the images together, edit the tour, and upload it to Google Maps. Some examples of Street View-compatible cameras are Insta360 Pro 2, GoPro Max, Ricoh Theta X, and Labpano Pilot Era.
- Using a professional service: These are companies or individuals that offer virtual tour creation services using specialized equipment and software. They can capture high-quality imagery, add interactive features, and publish the tour on Google Maps or other platforms. Some examples of professional services are Matterport, Klapty, My360, and Nodalview.
What are the Benefits of Using Google Street View Virtual Tour Software?
Using Google Street View virtual tour software can have many benefits for different industries and purposes. Some of the advantages are:
- Increased visibility: By publishing a virtual tour on Google Maps, businesses, and organizations can attract more customers and visitors who are searching for nearby places or exploring online. A virtual tour can also improve the ranking and relevance of a place on Google Search and Google My Business.
- Enhanced customer experience: A virtual tour can provide a realistic and immersive way for customers to preview a place before visiting or booking. It can also showcase the features, amenities, and unique selling points of a place in an engaging way.
- Reduced costs and time: A virtual tour can save money and time by eliminating the need for physical visits, travel, or brochures. It can also be updated easily and quickly whenever there are changes or improvements in a place.
- Improved communication and collaboration: A virtual tour can be used as a tool for sharing information, providing feedback, or giving presentations. It can also be integrated with other platforms or software such as Autodesk, Procore, LMS, or VR headsets.
What are the Limitations and Requirements of Using Google Street View Virtual Tour Software?
While Google Street View virtual tour software can be a powerful and versatile solution for creating indoor tours, it also has some limitations and requirements that users should be aware of. Some of the challenges are:
- Quality and consistency: The quality and consistency of a virtual tour depend largely on the camera, lighting, stitching, editing, and uploading processes. Users need to follow the best practices and guidelines provided by Google or the professional service to ensure a smooth and seamless experience for the viewers.
- Privacy and permissions: Users need to respect the privacy and permissions of the people and places they are capturing. They need to obtain consent from the owners or managers of the places they want to feature on Google Maps. They also need to blur or remove any faces, license plates, or sensitive information from the images.
- Connectivity and storage: Users need to have a reliable internet connection and enough storage space on their devices or cloud accounts to upload their virtual tours. Depending on the size and quality of the images, uploading a virtual tour can take from minutes to hours.
Google Street View virtual tour software is a great option for creating indoor tours that can showcase any place in 360 degrees. It can be used for various industries and purposes such as tourism, real estate, education, marketing, and more. However, users also need to consider the limitations and requirements of using this software such as quality, privacy, connectivity, and storage.